This is going to be a super fun fundraiser that gives the participant a little taste of what it's like for someone who lives out of their car.
The race will start on October 1 at 6:30pm. Starting point is at 345 Loewen Blvd, west side parking lot.
There are two ways to play. The family friendly race ends at 11pm so if you are participating as a family group and do not want to spend the night sleeping in your car with youngsters you can still join in the fun! The hardcore race ends at 6am the next morning. You will be sleeping in your car!
Here's how it works:
The race is set up similar to the Amazing Race. There are stations spread out across Steinbach and challenges to complete along the way to each station.
1. Partner with someone or put a team together. You can play as an individual too if you like. Encourage your friends, family and co workers to put a team together to play.
2. Call Charlene at 204-380-2692 or stop by Steinbach Community Outreach at 345 Loewen Blvd. Monday to Friday 9 - 4 to pick up your pledge sheet.
3. Collect pledges during the month of September in support of Steinbach Community Outreach. Whether you go door to door or bug your family, friends and coworkers... encourage your friends and neighbors to donate! We will issue a tax receipt for anything over $20.
4. The race is on October 1, 2021 Meet at 345 Loewen Blvd in the west side parking lot at 6:30pm to hand in your pledges and collect your scorecard.
5. 7pm: Ready, set, go! There will be 3 stations. You will have 45 minutes to get to the next station. On the way to the next station you will be given a challenge to complete. These challenges are based on overcoming barriers our clients face every day. They are designed to put you in the shoes of a person who is homeless and is living out of their car. The person or team who collects the most points wins the race!
How to collect points
First team to reach the station 100pts
Second team to reach the station 75pts
Third team to reach the station 50pts
If you complete the challenge between stations 100pts
If you have a child under 18 with you for the night 100pts
If you don't turn on your car at night 100pts
6. The family friendly race will end at 11pm when winners will be announced. The hardcore racers will continue on until 6am the next morning when those winners will be announced.
For each race there will be prizes for the most points collected, the highest amount in dollars of pledges collected, the youngest person to participate and the oldest person to participate.
We would love to see as many people as possible participate either by running in the race or by pledging their support for someone in the race! Please join us in this amazing event!